Monday 6 May 2013

Summer Grooves: Vol 1 - Fleet Foxes, Real Estate & Smith Westerns

Its an odd summer this one. Is it actually summer? It feels like it, its May. But then again its been just over a month since my garden was coated in snow. We didn't really encounter a Spring, thus the trees that sway in the gentle breeze on my road remain hauntingly leaf-less. Still, the sun is out and I've decided to start on a new feature for this blog to accompany the middle months of 2013, "Summer Grooves". Basically over the next 4 months I'm going to write about bands, albums, live shows or general experiences within this heading, in particular bands that make me feel summery. 

I spent the past couple of weeks carefully compiling a playlist to soundtrack the sun but in my usual indecisive state I couldn't really get what I wanted out of it. Plus as numerous other summer playlists cropped up over the blogosphere from other writers, the idea felt less like my own creation and I fell completely out of love with it. So instead, this! Today I'm keeping it on the band side of things with 3 artists I like to listen to in the sun with some suitable examples of their most joy inducing choons being performed as well as the studio versions with bonus songs at the bottom. Enjoy!

Fleet Foxes



Ok, ok, this band probably doesn't really fit with the last sentence of that introduction. Joyous songs, Seattle folk rockers Fleet Foxes are definitely not known for. However, they've got a few stompers, my particular favourite being "Ragged Wood" from the band's self-titled debut LP. The galloping rhythms of the drums and the lively plucked guitars make for a delightfully (if not uncharacteristically) pleasant folk song that could fill the coldest of heart's with cheer. Robin Pecknold's voice rings resolutely as he sings of longing for a past love, the rest of the band providing powerful backing harmonies. I've used footage of the song from their performance at 2009's Glastonbury Festival as the festival is drawing near and it generally looks like a sunny lark. Bring out your inner folkster... don't resort to Mumford & Sons though.

Real Estate



From the New Jerseyan band's sophomore album "Days", "Its Real" is one to lie back and lose yourself in. Although released in the autumn of 2011, I always feel far more connected to this type of song in the summer. Jangling guitars and steady drums create a warm atmosphere but its the sentimentally sweet lyrics that make it shine with singer Martin Courtney detailing his realisation of falling in long-time love and knowing "its real". The video I'm using is from The Guardian's 'How I Wrote...' sessions and includes and introduction of Courtney describing the odd conception of the song. If you like this, I can confirm you will really enjoy the album "Days".

Smith Westerns


This song always makes me feel a bit sick. Don't get me wrong, its a great song and the lyrics aren't too wishy washy, its just that the song was written by a band of 19 year olds... Yup, when Chicago trio Smith Westerns released their fantastic second album "Dye It Blonde" they were only entering their 20s and already had a devoted fan base. Anyway, enough of my jealousy, album opener "Weekend" is great for a cruise around in the sun with guitarist Max Kakacek's George Harrison style guitar lick and Cullen Omari's sickeningly sweet chorus of "Weekends are never fun, unless you're around here too" that'll either give you relatable butterflies or send you into a deep depression... its the former for me don't worry. With new album "Soft Will" to be released this June, get yourself familiar with the band's back catalogue.

So yeah, three summery songs from three summery bands. Want more? Have some more! I've made a playlist below of the three songs as well as other stompers from the bands in question. Hope you enjoy and until next time, kick back and bask in the warmth.


No comments:

Post a Comment