Tuesday 14 May 2013

New Choons: Superfood - 'TV'

Hello! Its been a while since I posted hasn't it. In my defence I haven't been listening to much new music at the moment due to broken earphones/volume conscious housemates (well... family). Also I have been working on yet another new regular feature for this blog that I hope to share with you very soon, however it takes a certain amount of time to get through it. But anyway, Superfood! Its been just over a month since Superfood allowed us into their world with debut self-titled track "Superfood" (reviewed here) and they've been pretty busy. Announcing their first headline 'b-town' show at The Rainbow in July, revealing future supporting gigs with Splashh and of course touring across the UK in support of Peace (though they decided to miss the Birmingham and Coventry shows, the latter I attended... bitterness, thy name is Huw). And here we are, the buzz growing ever er... buzzier, today they gave us a new track.

A shortly strummed intro and we burst straight into the first verse with singer Dom Ganderton bawling "I can never sleep without the TV on waahhhh!". The band continue with the dynamic set by "Superfood" with quiet/loud verses and a swirling solo closing the song to a suitably zany end. The grunge meets brit-pop feel of "Superfood" is emulated but "TV" seems more akin to the latter with faux Albarn yelps and guitars pop discordantly making it a Blur-esque affair. Not necessarily a bad thing and definitely not a bad song, you're just not taken anywhere noticeably different to their previous outing, in fact it feels a bit of a disappointingly similar younger sibling to "Superfood" despite its good quality. I leave it wondering "ok this is good, but what else?". No doubt the band have a more diverse repertoire of songs that I've yet to here though and "TV" may grow on me after I've heard them. But for now I'm afraid I'm happy to go back to the debut single instead.




www.superfoodjunk.com
www.facebook.com/superfoodjunk
www.twitter.com/superfoodjunk

No comments:

Post a Comment